Monday, July 2, 2012

Too much time on my hands? Looks are Deceiving.


In charge of bringing something to the family barbecue this Independence Day?  Don't break your back going all out and crazy with some fancy schmancy star spangled old glory dessert that's only going to end up in everyone's stomachs.  I've got an easy solution!



I've seen watermelon cut into star shapes before and thought I'd go a step further with fruit skewers in patriotic colors!


You need:
2 watermelons (they don't have to be huge)
1 package of blueberries
4 bananas
Skewers
A serving tray
A nice, sharp knife (which I DIDN'T have)
Star shaped cookie cutter


Begin by slicing one of your watermelons into, well, slices.  So they are circles.  You know, like this:


Don't be jealous of my mad computer drawing skillzzzzzzz.  (What do you mean, what is that?  It's a watermelon, of course.)
So when you are done slicing the whole watermelon, you have a bunch of circles like so:



Now, take your other watermelon.  Cut it in half.  Like so:


Hollow out the insides and cut them into little chunks:


Then take one half of the watermelon and cut little upside down triangles all around the top, cut part.


That's about where my drawing skills end, I think.


Fill the watermelon half with chunks of watermelon.


Peel and cut the bananas into chunks.  (I won't draw that for you, you can figure it out)


Take your skinny watermelon circles and use your star cookie cutter to bust out some stars.


Using your skewers, skewer at random the watermelon stars, banana chunks and blueberries.


Stick these skewers into the watermelon half with the triangles cut out.


Put this on a serving tray.  Place the extra blueberries, bananas, and watermelon chunks around the watermelon displaying the skewers.  Put extra skewers on the tray so people can make their own.

 And there you have it!  I wish my family was the type to look at this and be amazed and impressed at my ingenuity and creativity.  Instead my family is the type to look at this and say "Someone has too much time on their hands..."


Riiiiiight.  Actually, it just looks like it.  See?  Deceptively fancy.



*Be sure to check the right sidebar for all the fun parties I link to!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...